COVID-19 testing Guidance
What technique does Elmi Laboratory Use?
Our PCR (RT-qPCR) COVID-19 test detects the genetic material of the novel coronavirus.
RT-qPCR can detect the genetic information of the novel coronavirus regardless of how weak the reaction is.
How do you collect a SARS-CoV-2 sample for RT-qPCR testing?
Samples can be collected from the person’s nose and/or throat usually by using a nasal, throat, or nasopharyngeal swab. We also accept saliva samples.
You are also required to fill the below request form, which includes Full name, D.O.B, clearly written email address to receive the results and passport number.
You can print and complete the form in advance before you can to the centre. This will speed up the duration of stay. Please bring your ID along. Alternatively, forms are available on all centres.
Where can I take the swab or saliva sample?
You can do the test any of the centres we support or come to our laboratory, where we have isolated section for sample collection;
Unit 15a Heybridge Way,
London, E10 7NQ
Unfortunately, public personnel are not allowed entry to the laboratory for safety reasons.
Specimens requirement for COVID-19 PCR Assay (SARS-CoV-2).
- Nasal/Throat swabs collected using one of the following types.
BD dry swabs
Copan 321C UTM
What factors contribute to a false-positive or false-negative test result?
The following scenario can affect the results of COVID-19 tests just like any other diagnostic test:
- How the sample was collected. To overcome this, you must always follow the manufacturer’s recommended Instructions.
- The initial stage of infection, the level of virus might be too weak to be detectable.
- The storage of the specimen. To overcome this issue, we must receive the samples within 48 hours. All our samples are processed within 12 hours of receiving.
- Samples should be taken between days 1-5 from onset of symptoms.
- Samples should be sent to us o the day taken at ambient temperature in Category B packaging and must be labelled as HIGH RISK specimen (note; samples are stable at ambient temperature for 3 days).